1 John 2:27… “But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him” (KJV).
Some years back I was looking into this verse and I asked the Lord about the anointing. Very clearly the answer came, “The anointing puts you in a position to know.” I have never forgotten those words. The anointing will never fail you. I want to talk to you in this lesson very briefly about some of the purposes for the anointing.
1. Anointed to know… 1 John 2:27… The anointing helps us to know truth from error. This anointing resides in the believer and it is permanent. The anointing is within you. If you are a true Christian, you are anointed. The word “Christian” means more than being a follower of Christ. It means “little anointed ones.” The apostle John, in this chapter, was talking about the antichrist spirit that was in the world (the spirit who spreads lies about the Lord Jesus Christ) and about the born-again experience. This same antichrist spirit fills our nation. The anointing puts you in a position to know truth from error.
2. Anointed to see… Revelation 3:18… “I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see” (KJV). The New Testament church was a prophetic people. Paul, in Ephesians 1:17-18, prays that the Lord may give to the believers the spirit of wisdom. The word wisdom, in one of its meanings, refers to “seeing as the seer”; in other words, to see prophetically as the prophets saw, heard, and spoke. The Lord Himself said that the Holy Spirit will show us things to come (John 16:13). We need this anointing today to discern between what is true and what is a lie. We need this anointing when we study the word of God and when we pray.
3. Anointed to preach… Luke 4:18… “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised” (KJV, see also Acts 1:8, 10:38). The anointing helps us to minister effectively. There are many people sitting in churches and in their homes, oppressed and harassed by the devil. Churches that are full today are full because of the anointing. Where the anointing is, you will find a church full of good works. Good works refer to the acts and doings of the Holy Spirit.
4. Anointed to stand… 2 Corinthians 1:21… “Now he which establisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God” (KJV). Many people fall, are weak, and are tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine. The anointing helps people to stand–to stand in victory, to stand in faith, to stand in love, and to stand against all the wiles of the devil.
5. Anointed to rule… 2 Samuel 5:3… “So all the elders of Israel came to the king to Hebron; and king David made a league with them in Hebron before the LORD: and they anointed David king over Israel” (KJV). The apostle Paul confirms this. God has anointed us to rule. Note Romans 5:17… “For if by one man’s offense death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.” Every believer is anointed to rule. We rule over sickness and disease, we rule over the devil, and we rule in life… this life. Many believers postpone ruling until after they arrive in eternity. Anointed to rule also refers to “called and chosen leadership.” A lot of folks are not in leadership because they are unable to make decisions.
6. Anointed to receive… Numbers 18:8… “And the LORD spake unto Aaron, Behold, I also have given thee the charge of mine heave offerings of all the hallowed things of the children of Israel; unto thee have I given them by reason of the anointing, and to thy sons, by an ordinance for ever” (KJV). The anointing allowed Aaron and his ministry team to eat a portion of the offerings that were brought to them. They received this blessing because of the anointing. The anointing brings many blessings into our lives. A good question to ask would be, “Are you receiving blessings by reason of the anointing or by means of your own efforts?” The New Testament teaches that those who preach the gospel should live by the gospel (1 Corinthians 9:14).
7. Anointed to deliver… Isaiah 10:27… “And it shall come to pass in that day, that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing” (KJV). The burden and the yoke referred to the Assyrian captivity. Israel was being oppressed. The word anointing, shemen, as used here means “oil from the olive that is used to anoint” (Strong’s 8081). Going back towards a root word shem (Strong’s 8061, 8034, 8045), we see “the name of renown for knowing.” It was this verse that the Holy Spirit led me to when I was researching 1 John 2:27. Both of these chapters deal with the oppressions of the antichrist systems against believers. People are full of burdens today. They perish because they lack the anointing. The name for “knowing” is the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. It’s Jesus that delivers us from burdens. Are you under a heavy burden? The anointing gives you knowledge of what to do when you are burdened.
Pastor George Belobaba
Copyright © 2011 by Scripture Nuggets Ministries
All rights reserved